Sunday, August 27, 2006

To finish the week

After the wedding, we drove back to Monticello for a few more days with Mom. All went well until the airport. We drove down to Newark in a timely manner, turned in the car and went to our gate. We boarded the plane and took off on time.

About 1 hour before landing, the pilot announced that DFW Airport was closed due to storms and we would circle for a while. After a half hour or so, he announces we do not have enough fuel to circle any more and are making a landing in Shreveport, La to refuel. We refuel and take off again. The landing in DFW was uneventful. However, due to the holding pattern, refueling, etc, instead of getting home at 9:00pm, we rolled in our door after 12:00am. Gee, recovery sure takes longer than when we were 25!
Do you remember Dainty Bess? She was more difficult than I was willing to deal with - especially after I made the major mistake of leaving out 1 purl row which turned the RS into the WS about 10" into her.
So after much consternation, here she is:
I really did not want to frog this scarf after knitting it to a length of almost 30", but the fix was more than I could handle. This luscious ball of Alpaca/Silk Laceweight will become some other beautiful FO. Sometime.
This delicious Alchemy Yarns Bamboo is almost ready to go:

I think I will try another Elizabeth 1 scarf, but the white one (Town and Country) - it looks more to my level of ability and desire today.


Teyani said...

good for you froggin the scarf - it's not always "fun" to do, but you never would have been happy with leaving it the way it was.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, it's called suicide by orchestra!! hahah I am looking forward to it, tho. The wedding looks lovely! What did ya play? Oh, the walls...yes...still isn't hard, just time consuming like most home projects. And it doesn't help that I have the attention span of a rock. ;0) Eliz 1? It is here:

Whoooohooo! Love the Lorna's! Sharon

Meredith said...

Sorry you had to frog. 30" is quite a bit! That Bamboo looks lovely--can't wait to see it knitted up!

schrodinger said...

Hearing about a frogging incident is always sad - but it will be worth it in the end. Shame about the delay getting back from the wedding, but glad you got home safe and sound.

lobstah said...

Ugh, I hate travel snafus. Also too bad about Dainty Bess, hope you find something nice to do with the yarn :)

Sharon said...

Frogging is a necessary evil as the saying goes. If you don't frog you end up with something that will never be worn so best to frog and that ball of yarn looks so lovely ready to knit again.

I hate flying, I have a dreadful fear of flying so that would have freaked me out and I would have been a basket case!! So glad that you arrived home safely as we have been hearing on the news here about a dreadful crash in the US.

Aprilynne said...

HEY, I had that experience with DFW once! (maybe twice) but only refueling once. We had to go to some crazy little po dunk airport though and the pilot drove the plane around the runways for like an HOUR, I thought I would GO CRAZY. I'm like.... where are we GOING? lol We didn't get in until the wee hours and then STILL had 3 hours to drive home. Fortunately I live in Ft Worth now, so that'll never be an issue again!

Did you get any rain this week where you are?

sara_jayne said...

How horrible about the flight - that is never fun! I agree with every one else - frogging is no fun, but necessary to enjoy the finished project! The colorways in that ball are beautiful - I can't wait to see it in a finished object!