Sunday, June 25, 2006

The good and the bad

The opera has been good, but taxing on the hands. It runs 3.25 hours, and I play 75% of that time. That is a long time to hold an oboe and not conducive to much knitting! I have been using my paraffin bath which is very soothing and theraputic ~ must preserve the hands for work. Today's matinee is the last performance.

The other good is that I have been able to knit a few times this week, thus progressing a little bit on GG. Here we are right now:



The bad is that my mentor has been diagnosed with a very fast growing brain cancer. They will perform surgery next week in hopes of prolonging his life for a few more months. I have been getting daily updates that help me and all the other out-of-towners feel connected (he is 1500 miles away). Our oboe community is really pulling together with the numerous visits and phone calls and cards. We don't think he knows who most of us are at this point, but the efforts seem to keep him in good spirits which is what really matters. Thank you for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers.

That's all for now, gotta go to work.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

So sorry to hear about your mentor.

lobstah said...

I am sorry to hear about your mentor. I will certainly keep him and you in my thoughts.
Take care of those hands!

schrodinger said...

That's really sad news about your mentor, I will be keeping him, and you, in my thoughts.

essjay said...

It was alwasy difficult to save my hands for performances and practice when I was in highschool - and even now I "save my hands" for knitting!

So sorry to hear about your mentor - how hard that must be. You all are in my thoughts.