Sunday, July 01, 2007

Blogger Rant

Knitting content soon - but in the meantime:
I love that you all comment, and when I comment on your blogs, you send me a personal email. I would love to be able to do that in an efficient manner as well. With Blogger, there seems to be no way to do that!

So I downloaded Haloscan (many of you use this) and lost ALL the previous comments. The only way (according to the help forums on Haloscan) to get the old comments back is to cut an paste them all in. I have no idea how to do that, and if I did know how, it would take a long time to transfer 3 years of comments. Haloscan is not an option.
So - as much as I would love to be able to just email you back, I cannot unless you have your email available somewhere on your blog or profile.

I think this is a big short coming in Blogger. And if there are programs that will do this, they should be compatible with one another. Why even Mac and Windows talk to each other (now.)

Also - the spacing between paragraphs is always weird when I try to edit and publish posts. I am at a loss here. Maybe it is time to change blog hosts....

5 comments:

Larjmarj said...

I agree on all points, I love when I get the personal e-mails's on my posts but, I don't know how to do that on blogger. My e-mail is in my profile, maybe that's how most people are doing it?
As for the weird spacing, true true true! Sometimes I get so frustrated when working up a post that I get to where I don't enjoy it and really, isn't it supposed to be fun?
Haven't checked out any other blogging programs, let me know what you find out.

schrodinger said...

Blogger can be a pain true. I always thought I had my preferences so people can see my email in a comment, but maybe that's not working... I've been using haloscan for a long time now, so I'm probably out of touch. As for other hosts, I'd be interested in what you find - and if you are able to find a way to keep all your posts and comments.

Anonymous said...

I don't use either, but I just looked on the Haloscan site for info on this, because I know a lot of folks who have started using Haloscan and this is the first time I've ever heard of it. According to them (Haloscan) they don't delete any comments. This thread ( http://www.haloscan.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5109 ) in their forums has code to add to your Blogger template so that the posts show up on the individual pages.

Hope this helps some.

lobstah said...

That too drives me nuts about blogger. I've taken to saving everyone's email addresses when they respond to my comments, but it's still more of a pain than it should be!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Just read your rant and wanted to share. I started with a Blogger site, but changed to Wordpress after only a few posts. With Wordpress, every comment is forwarded to my e-mail address, and I have the option of simply replying to the e-mail. Easy Peazy! Also, as I remember it was very simple to import all my posts right into my new Wordpress site. You should look into it :)

Sharly
www.houseof9lives.wordpress.com