Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Few Things

I just found some beautiful buff colored (on sale) Bamboo from Classic Elite Yarns at my LYS. I thought the Fiber Trends Streaming Leaves Scarf would look nice in this.

I also picked up some new DPNs so I can finally knit the Pomotamus socks I have been pondering. Except for my first disastrous attempt at socks, I have knit all my socks on 2 circs, I had no #1 or #2 DPNs. Now I do!!


The Traveller came unfinished:

And I have since rubbed in 3 coats of Danish Oil in a light Walnut:

(The finish doesn't look quite this dark in real life.)

The next step is to rub in and buff a few layers of Wax finish to give her a satin gloss and protect the wood. This has already taken 1 week to do, I think but the finished wheel will look great and is well worth the effort. Unfortunately I won't get her waxed and assembled until next week ~ out of town symphony for the next few days.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

I only ever knit socks on dpns. I am loving watching the wheel come to life!

Enigma said...

You have a lot of patience! But yeah, I agree that the end result will be worth it. I was too lazy and WAY too impatient, so my Lendrum is unfinished.

Lanea said...

Welcome to the KR Webring.

Knittinreed said...

Hi Sharon - I started knitting because I wanted to knit socks. But I was not able to manipulate DPNs in the beginning so I used 2 circs. After knitting 8 preemie caps and various other items in the round, I now seem to be fine with DPNs.

Cindy - I really wanted a nice finish and this has been a MAJOR test of my patience! But I know if I rush it, I will be unhappy with the finish.

I am also loving watching the wheel emerge into an even more beautiful work of art. My work of art (well, partially).

Lanea - COOL! Thank you.

schrodinger said...

Ooooooh, you're getting closer, and I'm impressed with your patience, soon....

Larjmarj said...

I traded in my dpn's for using the Magic Loop method last spring and haven't looked back, but some patterns still call for dpn's so I still have to haul them out every now and again. Love anything with a leaf motif, I am sure the scarf will be lovely. The wheel looks great!

Zarzuela said...

You are so patient. I would not have been able to wait to spin! Congrats on the wheel! :)

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog