Sunday, February 19, 2006

Mozart, Mmmm, Mmmm, Good!

Last night's soloists were teriffic! What fun to hear good friends play so beautifully. Ah yes, all is well in the music world.
My poor, cracked oboe came home on Friday all repaired and I was able to use it in this Saturday's performance. When I first tried this new one, my husband (a cellist) commented on how wonderful it sounded. So as I have broken it in (no pun intended) and been using it, my colleagues continue to comment on the sound. I thought my old one was good, but I guess this one is great!

I started another pair of socks using some Hobby Lobby Senseo cotton/acrylic yarn. I read somewhere some sock knitter liked the result.
Anyone else ever try this yarn?
So far it seems to be a very smooth fingering weight that has a slight tendency to split. But I will continue and see what evolves. I thought the color was really sweet especially after the whole winter of knitting darker socks. The picture on the left shows more accurately how it looks.















It looks like this week will be busy with reed making. Many students will be playing their solos for contest on Saturday, so you can bet no one will cancel and they will all want reeds.
Friday is my husband's birthday and I have no clue yet what to do?!?!?! Since we are both working it won't be any major celebration. Maybe a nice dinner at home with candles and a yummy dessert ..... hmmmm, maybe Tiramisu?

Here is this great recipe I found in Cooking Light back in 2000:


Tiramisu Anacapri

"This tiramisu was a hit with our Test Kitchens staff, who agreed that it's one of the best they've come across. Ladyfingers can be found in the bakery or the frozen-food section of the supermarket. We used soft ladyfingers, which are made to be split."

1 cup cold water
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 (1.4-ounce) package sugar-free vanilla instant pudding mix
1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) tub frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup Kahlúa (coffee-flavored liqueur)
1 tablespoon instant espresso or 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
24 cakelike ladyfingers (2 3-ounce packages)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, divided

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Cover surface with plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes or until firm.

Remove plastic wrap, and add cream cheese. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended. Gently fold in whipped topping.

Combine hot water, Kahlúa, and espresso.
Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise.
Arrange 16 ladyfinger halves, flat sides down, in a trifle bowl or large glass bowl.
Drizzle with 1/2 cup Kahlúa mixture.
Spread one-third of pudding mixture evenly over ladyfingers; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cocoa.
Repeat layers, ending with cocoa.
Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)


It looks really pretty in a clear glass bowl so all the layers are visible.
Please let me know how you like this one. I love comments



3 comments:

RhettaRic said...

Love your blog. Knitting, music, AND FOOD! Thanks for the recipe.

Agnes said...

Hi there, the sock pattern I am making comes from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks, but you can also find the pattern here:
http://knitting.about.com/library/weekly/aa091905.htm
(stroll down quite a bit and there is the pattern)
We don't have Hobby Lobby here, so no chance to try the cotton yarn you mentioned, although I'd be very interested because cotton is the way to go for summer.
Thanks for the recipe ... I'll certainly try it.

Meredith said...

Thanks for your comment! I'll have to look out for that yarn--I'd much rather use a cotton blend than wool as it doesn't get too cold here. :)