Sunday, November 25, 2007

The hare and the tortoise?

Contrary to popular belief - I am no fast knitter. It is more like the hare and the tortoise here and I am the tortoise. I just sit and knit slowly and steadily and eventually an FO bursts forth. The last sweater was a fast knit even for slo-mo me due to the pattern itself. And the backs of the newest sweater projects are going quickly simply because they are easy-peasy.

Yes Twig, our season is going to be a busy one. But it is a really good thing - at some point people aren't going to hire us to play anymore so if we can make enough $$ now and sock it away, when they stop calling we can still eat. And buy yarn. Especially buy yarn.
We did lay low on Thanksgiving to get geared up for the next weeks.

LarjMarj - yes, we play Nutcrackers every year. This one was with Lakecities Ballet. It is a sweet production - nice costumes and sets, good dancing and two stars from NYC to dance the Cavalier Prince (Damian Woetzel) and Sugar Plum Fairy (Julie Kent). Here is a picture I shot before we began yesterday:


If you look carefully, you can see my husband in the back on the right with silver hair. Although there is no photography allowed during performances, I snuck out my camera and surreptitiously took one during (I think) the Waltz of the Flowers. The angle is a bit wonky since I couldn't very well stand up and shoot at the stage.... You can see my colleague James' hands on his oboe and the stage and a few dancers in the back.

The next Nutcrackers I play are with the Metropolitan Classical Ballet in December. Mom will be here so I hope she will come to see a performance. She has never seen live ballet.....

Wednesday and Sunday are rehearsal and concert at FUMC with the Texas Boys Choir. And Thursday - Saturday is RSO. It should be some good uplifting music this week :-).

I hope your week ahead is a good one.

And I should have some knitting content for you next time

See you soon~

5 comments:

Larjmarj said...

I've only seen one live ballet. What surprised me was the sound as the dancers hit the stage from their leaps and jumps. True athletes.
Looks like it was a really nice productions, I love the fact that you snuck the camera in...hee hee, you rebel.

BTW...I am skeptical about the "slow knitter" label...um hum.

lobstah said...

Oh, what a neat perspective! Nutcracker + live orchestra = awesome!

Meredith said...

'Tis the season for the Nutcracker! And I missed your Mr. Greenjeans--it looks great on you!

Jessica said...

Nothing better than to be a busy musician this time of year. Enjoy it!

vi said...

listen the nutcracker is my all time favorite ballet and music
I adore it
(and i used to have a canary that sang the dance of the sugarplum fairy)
vi