Sunday, January 28, 2007

Socks and Yarn Meters

Thanks for all the sweet comments. My cousin loved his hat and wore it running the very next day. Mom has been showing her friends the socks - I think she is really tickled by them!

One of Mom's friends asked for pair of socks. I had this Lion Brand Magic Stripes in my stash and found I was not too fond of the yarn or the colors. So these are going to NY for another octagenarian lady:

Magic Stripes Ocean, #1 DPNs, knit in a Garter Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks, the heel is from Sally Melville Purl Book. I didn't model because these are too big for me.


There was a thread on KR about the speed at which we knit. I feel I am a slower knitter, a process knitter. But I CO the first sock last Thursday pm and finished tonight. So that makes 10 days for whatever that is worth!

My DH bought me a line counter (aka yarn meter) from a big fishing store for Christmas. I turned it into this:

Knit Picks sells one all set up for $49.99. Mine cost $12.99 (for the meter) and $.99 for the little wooden base. The rest of the wood came from our garage.

Here is a side view:

I used a 7/16" wooden dowel and two 3" pieces of 1X1 inch wood. I drilled holes in the 1X1s as well as the bottom of the 5" x 7" base (from Michaels) and screwed them on. I hollowed out the top of the 1X1s with my Dremel and glued the dowel on. The meter itself clamps right on and can be tightened down so it won't move. This is the exact same meter that is sold for the big $$. And yes, I shamelessly copied the KP version. No guilt here :-)

One last item: I go for my first spinning lesson Tuesday!!!
I will let you know ....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How clever! I may have to copy you on that yarn meter!

Meredith said...

What a great idea! Much more cost effective than the Knit Picks version.

schrodinger said...

I'm wondering if you have started testing the lengths of your store bought skeins, I know I would!

Knittinreed said...

Twig - I would be honored if ou copied :-)

Mer - yes indeed! I just couldn't spend 50 bucks on something I knew I could make. It's not at all like knitting!

Shrodinger - No, I haven't measured my skeins yet.... I guess I will start! I thought it might come in handy for when I begins spinning TOMORROW!!!!!!

Knittinreed said...

EEEK! I cannot seem to hit the proper keys tonight.....

lobstah said...

Oh wow, I'm impressed by your clever (and inexpensive) solution. Very cool.

Larjmarj said...

You win the McGuyver award for ingienuity!

Enigma said...

What a great yarn meter! I wish I had seen this before I bought mine a while back (which btw, I am totally unhappy with and don't use). Have fun at your spinning lesson too!

Anonymous said...

Hi -
I'm in the Dallas area (FB). Where did your husband get the measurer?
Bass Pro shops maybe? It looks like a great idea at not too painful a price. Would you share the brand, please? Thank you! And good luck spinning.

Anonymous said...

Just bought this meter at Bass Pro for $11.99! Thanks for posting your idea on Knitter's Review.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this, MUCH appreciated! I started googling yarn meters on Google this morning, recoiled at the notion of paying $50 for a meter that I would then have to import into the UK and found your suggestion of the diy version minutes later. One swift purchase of a line meter later and I'm on my way to owning my own self-made yarn meter. Warm regards, Linda @ www.tallyarns.co.uk