Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Socks and Students

SOCKS

Happy days are upon us ~ here are the finished Pomatomus




They were a fun knit - Lorna's Lace Shepherd in Sherbert with #1 DPNs and a good fit! I was given some Collinette jitterbug (see last post) and will begin some easy socks now. Less concentration is sometimes a good thing.

STUDENTS

Once again they made me look good. The 2 who placed first in their respective regions went on the the area competition Saturday and placed first and second. In Texas, that means they will go to the All State convention next month. The All State organization picks only 16 oboists from the entire state. And two are my students!

The third, who was first on English horn in his region will know tomorrow if he goes - they take only 4 from this huge state.

I am lucky to have such great kids to work with. All the kiddos did really well, regardless of how far they got in these auditions. It is a real priviledge to know and work with these young men and women.

GOOD AND BAD

Last week I flew to NY to get Mom here for a 2 week visit. All went well until our layover in Chicago O'Hare Airport. I had the poor judgement to eat. By the time we got home, my tummy was unhappy. Let's just say I have never been so violently ill as I was later that night and into the next day. It took from Friday until today for me to recover from the results of the food poisoning I endured after eating the SALAD (it wasn't even junk food) at OHare.

And the really good part - Mom is here.

9 comments:

lobstah said...

Those are some really beautiful socks! What a bummer on getting sick...especially when you are trying to eat something healthy! I guess produce is just as dangerous as meat (spinach, anyone?). Congrats to all your students too.

Enigma said...

Love the socks! Pink is so cheery!

Sorry to hear about the bad food, but glad to hear that you've since recovered.

Anonymous said...

Your socks turned out wonderful. I really like the way the pattern and colorway interact.

Katherine said...

Your socks look fantastic! I second Twig's thought about the pattern and the colorway, and the perfection each has achieved through interaction with the other.

And sorry to hear you found an evil salad. Is nothing safe anymore?

schrodinger said...

The socks look great, don't you love the poms? Sorry to hear about the salad, but congratulations to you and your students for doing so well.

Knittinreed said...

Thanks so much for your comments about the socks, my tummy and my students. I am thrilled how the colors and pattern work together. I wore them yesterday - they felt wonderful :-)

Larjmarj said...

Socks look GREAT! I have yet to tackle that pattern.
Bummer about the food poisoning, it almost seems inexcusable to get it from something "healthy". Grrrr.

Meredith said...

Beautiful socks--and I just love that color! And at least you didn't get sick on the plane, if that's any consolation.

Anonymous said...

Those socks really came out beautifully. What a beautiful yarn and pattern.

Congratulations. =0)

Lella