Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Home and a new project!

Thanks so much for your comments! I wore my sweater at Mom's a few times and felt really special knowing I had knit it. What fun! (Note to self - must knit more garments)


Mom is doing quite well for an 86 year old who lives alone. She is in good health and pretty good mind. However I am beginning to see some forgetfulness and that concerns me. I worry even more since she is by herself in a 2 story house with a basement. My brother who lives 45 minutes away does not get there too often. I am trying to convince her (ever so gently) that moving to Texas might be a really good idea......


The flights in on Tuesday were fine but on Wednesday when I was cleaning the tub, my back went out. So much for my plans of doing the physical chores around the house! I was laid up for 3 days and began moving slowly on Saturday. I was able to get some of the work done on the weekend, albeit in slow motion. The rest of the outside (and inside) work got done on Monday and Tuesday. One good thing - I got a lot of knitting in. More on that in a minute.


Yesterday was my return. Due to bad storms in the Dallas area, our flight was diverted to Memphis. The airport was virtually closed but at least they let us off the plane. Instead of arriving home at 9:00pm, we actually rolled up to the gate at midnight. It was a minor inconvenience compared tot he people who had to deal with terrible rains, hail and tornadoes. My beloved husband drove out and got me - so all is well. But my back is still not good.....


Okay, here is the promised knitting content: After all the choices, I drove to my LYS for a different yarn since the Cotton Ease was just too thick. I ended up with a beautiful Sirdar Cotton DK.


The color is a luscious coral. The pattern I decided on is this Bolero:

The pattern is number 8706. I couldn't find it on any web site, so it must be really new.

And I made a modification. The sleeves are stockinette and they will curl, so I knit them a bit shorter and will put the lace border on them as well. Pictures soon - All that is left to knit are the two front pieces and the border.

I have a question for you all-knowing wonderful folks - the pattern calls for the border to be knit on in pieces before seaming - first the bottom back, then the fronts starting at each side and joining at the neck. Is there any reason I could not seam the sweater then knit the border all around? I don't understand the logic of all the separate parts.

One last thing - I was at WalMart with Mom and saw a little knit sweater that looked exactly like Bonnie Marie's CeCe pattern! And then I saw a woman wearing it - - - looked very sweet, so I am going to knit that one as well.

Oh my - it is late. I must get going........... Enjoy this beautiful Wednesday.

4 comments:

schrodinger said...

welcome back. sorry to hear you put your back out.

Thanks for sharing the pattern you decided on - it's sweet.

lobstah said...

What a great pattern you found! And you've already done a lot of it?? Wowza.

As for the border...I haven't made anything like that so I don't have any first hand experience, but I agree that it does seem odd to add it in pieces. The only reason I can think of is that it wouldn't lay right around the neck area or something? I don't know, if it was me I would probably just try to do it all in one piece and hope for the best!

Meredith said...

That's a very cute sweater! I don't see why you couldn't seam it first--that seems like it would work out fine.

Zarzuela said...

Not sure about the sweater border, but I would think it sure would be easier to do it all at once if you can.

Hope your back is better soon!

Jessica