Monday, September 17, 2007

Fine Finishing Course

Last Saturday was the Fine Finishing Course taught by none other than Nancie Wiseman. The Woolie Ewe put on the class and there were about 25 participants. I was a bit nervous never having taken a class before but was soon put to ease. Ms. Wiseman is so personable with a keen wit - I thoroughly enjoyed her. Her teaching was clear and beautifully presented. I was sitting in the very front, so I could hear everything but the knitters in the rear had a difficult time due to an a/c vent making noise over their table. I learned so much that I am very motivated to get Tilia finished (read on) and put together.

She was so gracious - signing our books and posing for pictures.


Here is the completed Debbie Bliss Baby Bolero, all seamed up (thanks to your words of wisdom, Nancie!)

After the last post, my life has been insanely busy. In addition to the Saturday knitting class, I performed on the faculty recital at TAMU Commerce Monday, played 2 rehearsals and a symphony concert later in the week plus taught my 30+ oboe students their lessons. Luckily, Saturday was a light student day and Sunday was totally free.
What did I do on my free day? Well! Cleaned three bathrooms and did 2 loads of laundry. Then I cleaned the five gallon fish tank I keep in my studio, redecorated it with a rock ledge and three plants and moved a new Betta into it. Then I put a chicken on the rotisserie and cooked some potatoes and green beans to go with it. And knit, knit and knit some more while watching Tiger Woods play amazing golf.
I would go totally nuts if I wasn't busy (not to mention there is a lot of yarn to buy therefore the need for income) so I feel very lucky and happy to fully ensconced in my career. I figure at some time it will slow down - people just aren't going to want some ancient babe (ha!) performing and teaching. Until that time, I will pedal as fast as I can and be grateful to be in demand.

I have been chipping away at (aka knitting) Tilia. The third time was indeed the charm and here is the finished back.

And a closer view of the lace-


I already have 6 repeats on the front finished and am determined to finish the front sooner rather than later.

It was really nice to hear from you all last week. I appreciate your well wishes and comments. Woodstock was in 1969 and I was a foolish 15 year old (yikes! now you know my age). But I was so lucky to be able to go and it sure was an event I will never forget. There was nothing to compare with seeing Jimi Hendrix play the Star Spangled Banner early that morning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what makes me more jealous -- Nancie Wiseman or Jimi and the Star Spangled Banner. I honestly like his version. But then again that's my music. That time period. I'm just about 10 years too young to have remembered much of it when it came out. But that's about all I listen to now.

Tilia is looking great. I had success with seaming and Nancie's book today. It's not so bad once it starts to make sense.

lobstah said...

Wow, that sounds like a great class! Very useful information to learn.
The baby bolero is so cute! And Tilia is looking gorgeous too.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh the lace detailing is gorgeous and the color is fantastic.

Meredith said...

Glad you found the class helpful--I've never taken a knitting class before either but it seems like it could be useful.

Zarzuela said...

That's so cool that you got to meet Nancy Wiseman! Your knitting looks wonderful too. :) And it's always good to hear of a busy working musician. :)

Jessica

Larjmarj said...

Lucky you to have such a great class but even luckier to have heard live Jimi performing. Wow. Every hair on my body is standing up just thinking of it. The lace is just gorgeous, love it.